Tuesday 19 June 2012

Things that I Love #1. Reading


Let me tell you about my first and biggest love - books! I learned how to read at the age of three and have been reading ever since. During my time at school I usually hated the summer reading lists as our teachers usually chose very boring books, that were not interesting at all, but always very huge. I always preferred to choose the books I want to read myself.  Out of all books that I had to read for school I really enjoyed only three! Some of them I never even managed to finish - the perfect example would be The War and Piece by Leo Tolstoy, which consists of four parts. I only read two parts and it took me all summer... Horrible!
Anyway, I love to read! Always did and still do. The only difference is that I have less time for it now. When I was about eight years old I discovered loads of old books in the attic of my house. They were supposed to be destroyed as all books were old editions and nobody needed them anymore.  I still remember the first book that I selected form that pile and decided to read - "Gone with the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell. I absolutely loved it! That book reignited my passion for reading (although I was very young) and I was reading ever since. I was very unhappy, when my Mother was making me to leave the book and go outside to play with my younger sisters. Toys didn't interest me anymore - only books.
As I grew up I had less and less time to read what I wanted. Now, when I am studying at University during the day and working part time in the evenings I have even less time if not at all. However, I am still buying them. I know that electronic books are becoming very popular and I do understand the benefits of having an Amazon Kindle or other similar gadget for reading, but for me nothing beats the feeling of holding a book in my hands, feeling the smell of the fresh ink and flipping through the pages. I don't think I will ever stop reading real books and switch to electronic ones. Call me old fashioned, but it is not for me.
Now regarding my favorite titles. I like books with a good and interesting plot, where you can learn something. Like Jodi Picoult novels. I love Sophie Kinsella - she is so funny! I also like thrillers and mysteries, but not the bloody horrors about psycho killers that are torturing people for fun... Also you will never see me reading sleazy romance books. That is not for me at all.
Let me start with request - please don't laugh and make fun of me, but I do love Harry Potter books. There, I said it! I am twenty five year old woman, who likes reading Harry Potter! You have no idea how many people find it silly or funny.. Why? What's wrong with that? They are really good books! In the beginning I was thinking they are books for kids. I never went to cinema with my little sisters to see the movies and I was not interested. It was only when the fifth movie (!) came out, when I decided to give it a go and see for myself why the world is going Harry Potter crazy. And I did... My Dad had to take them away from me in the evenings, because I just couldn't stop reading them up until the early mornings... That was my big obsession.
Then there is another one - the Twilight series. Yes, you heard that right. I loved those books - funny, intense, exciting. I also read "The Host" and I hope the movie will be great.
I must admit I do like to read the books, which have movies based on them. For example, I read "the Time Traveler's Wife" long before the movie came out. The same was with "Lovely Bones". I love comparing my own vision of the book with the one which is presented in the movie.
My recent purchases were "Little Face" b Sophie Hannah and "Her Fearful Symmetry" by Audrey Niffengger. I finished Audrey's book already and let me tell you it is nothing like the Time Traveler's Wife. It had the unexpected ending, but not the one I expected. It was so weird and made me feel like I read the whole book for nothing, hoping for things that never happened.
I am yet to read the "Little Face" and it looks like a really interesting book. It is about the woman who just had a baby and had to leave house for the first time without her baby daughter. When she comes back, the child she finds in the cot is not hers, while all her family is trying to convince her that this baby is her daughter. She is not convinced and tries to find out the truth while everyone else are thinking that she is crazy. Can't wait to read this one!
Has anyone else read this book or others form this author?  Are they good? Any recommendations?

Thank you again for reading



Lace Butterfly

No comments:

Post a Comment