Tuesday 24 July 2012

You Are What You Eat

When I was a teenager my friend really surprised me with a revelation that she is "on a diet". It was very surprising, considering the fact that she was not fat at all and only 15 years old. Did I say anything to her? Oh, yes I did. Was it something sensible? No, not at all. I only asked the details of her diet. It didn't really concern me why she does that - at that time it seemed to be trendy to be "on a diet". So I followed a lead as well. No bread, no sugar, nothing fat and not eating after 6 p.m. Did it work? Well, it's hard to say, as I wasn't fat either. I did feel miserable and hungry all the time and after a while I gave up.
The truth is - diets do not really work. It's just a torture. The main secret is exercise and healthy eating. Don't get confused here - healthy eating is not the same as diet. Healthy eating is not about restricting yourself, but about enjoying everything in moderation. Recently I watched Katya's video (harmonyofbeauty on the you-tube) about slimming down. There she made a really good point - before starting a diet you have to ask yourself - are you going to able to stick to it all your life? Most of you will think - yes, of course. So did I. But then she made another good point. If you are sticking to a certain diet and then stop - all the weight that you lost will come back and very possible you will gain even more than you had before (tried and tested - 100% true) so it all becomes pointless. Also we have to remember - one day (if you are a woman) you will decide to have a baby - and then you will have no choice, but to stop dieting. And that is the fact we all are forgetting about.

The best way is to make healthy choices, enjoying everything in moderation and making it your lifestyle. If you all the time will be eating fresh fruits and vegetable, brown rice and pasta you will never have to stop and it will only be good for you.
It really does work. I try to eat healthy all the time and if I want some chocolate - I will have some, just not the whole bar, if I want ice-cream I'll have a frozen yogurt instead - healthier and as delicious as ice-cream. If I want pizza I can make some myself - using wholemeal flour for dough, fresh veggies, healthy topping and low fat mozzarella. I pay attention to ingredients on the pack, try to cook my meals every day and avoid using ready prepared, processed meals. Also try to steam or bake you food instead of frying too much. And of course lots of water - no fizzy drinks, no juices (too much sugar). 
It is not so complicated and it does deliver results. It also makes my grocery shopping a lot more interesting. You will be able to stick to it forever and see results, with the additions of some exercise. 
Trust me - you are what you eat. If you want to be beautiful and healthy you have to take care of your body and it will thank you afterwards. You know what they say - beauty is within us. So take care of yourself!

Love 

Lace butterfly

No comments:

Post a Comment